- Thurs., 10/26, 10:00 - 6:00 (lunch included)
Garment alterations are a fun and empowering way to level up your sewing skills and expand your wardrobe options. Professional tailor Lauren Taylor is here to guide you through the entire process of this essential skill set! Whether you are working with handmade, ready-to-wear, vintage or thrifted clothing - this class will teach you how to see flaws in garments as exciting opportunities for improvement.
Students are encouraged to bring a variety of garments, both handmade and ready to wear. Although we may not get through every single piece by the end of class, students can expect to leave with the knowledge and confidence to be able to continue their practice at home.
What students can expect to learn in class:
- Effective seam ripping techniques for a variety of stitches, including straight stitches, serged finishes, and chainstitches
- How to assess a garment’s fit and style, and how to determine what changes need to be made
- How to pin fit a garment and transfer the adjustments in preparation for sewing
- How to take apart a garment, look inside, and determine the best method for executing whatever adjustment needs to be made based on the construction of the original garment
- Basic garment repair
- How to determine whether a garment can successfully be altered or repaired, best practices for using trial-and-error to approach for alterations on existing garments, and how to troubleshoot any problems that may arise
The exact techniques covered in class will depend on the garments that are brought in by students. Don’t know what to bring? Here are some suggestions of topics that can be covered:
- Altering a garment for a better fit
- Making design changes to a garment - shortening or removing sleeves, changing necklines, or collars, adding or removing style ease/volume, adding or removing pockets
- Changing hemlines - topstitched, blind, rolled, using the original hem on jeans
- Garment repairs - holes, split seams, tears, replacing elastic, replacing buttons, replacing broken zippers, adding patches and repairing worn fabric
- Making a garment smaller or bigger
- Repairing or replacing garment lining
- Garments for friends, family members, loved ones, etc
Lauren Taylor is a sewing enthusiast and rad sewing instructor based in Nashville, TN. 100% self-taught, Lauren has been sewing for most of her life and makes anything and everything! In addition to teaching fun sewing workshops, Lauren also works professionally as a tailor for a local fine suiting store, as well as on set wardrobe + alterations for commercials, music videos, tour and performance wardrobes, and red carpet events. Lauren can be found atLLADYBIRD.com and at @LLADYBIRD on Instagram.
CLASS FULL? Join the waitlist!
NEW 2023 POLICY: Seats for special events and master classes are non-refundable. They may, however, be transferred to someone else. If you're unable to attend, please notify us immediately as we may have a waitlist. If not, it's the attendee's responsibility to find someone to take their spot. Please check your schedule prior to registering.